WELCOME FRIENDS....MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME

So my new goal this year is to read at least 25 books and blog about them. I will share my thoughts about each book. I love to read and enjoy a book just for my own enjoyment! So that is how I will evaluate each book. Let the journey begin.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

BOOK 2

Penny from Heaven
by Jennifer L. Holm

 At first I was not sure this was a very interesting book...It kind of starts out quietly but then sneaks up on you and bam...you are hooked. Penny tells the story, and that's what I really enjoyed. Her perspective. Interesting how children look at the world and the things around them so differently.  It's a warm and gentle read about family. Based in the 1950's, about Penny who is 11 years old. Her father is dead, and she lives with her mother and grandparents....me-me and pop-pop....love these two characters. Me-me can't cook and makes terrible dinners, and pop-pop acts like he can't hear anything around him until its something he really wants to hear. She also has her father's extended family...Italians.  They all love penny and spoil her with all kinds of things.
Penny dreams of a summer of butter pecan ice cream, swimming and baseball. Her mother will not let her go swimming because she is afraid she'll catch polio at the pool, also no movies for the very same reason. 
She has a favorite uncle Dominic, her father's brother. He lives in his car and wears slippers all the time.
When her mother begins dating again, Penn's secure world begins to tilt. A terrible accident brings family secrets to light but then allows penny and her mother to move on. 
It shows how life was in the 50's, especially for Italian families. 
I enjoyed the Read and would recommend it to others.
Some Sad parts, but no bad language. 


No comments: