WELCOME FRIENDS....MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME

So my new goal this year is to read at least 25 books and blog about them. I will share my thoughts about each book. I love to read and enjoy a book just for my own enjoyment! So that is how I will evaluate each book. Let the journey begin.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

TREASURES FOR THURSDAY

I thought I would share one of my treasures with you today....(no it's not my family this time) It is my China Closet.....
Now for the story behind this wonderful piece of furniture....This was from my grandma Sutter, I got it when Lionel and I were first married and she passed away...I loved it. It took me awhile but a took off all the old varnish....if you can believe it, it use to be almost a black color. Then I put new varnish and yippee it turned out beautiful....Well now sadly for years I have always looked at it and been so disappointed in the fact that it is just full of stuff. I had always dreamed of one day getting new china plates and glasses and putting in it to display them. ....it wasn't until recently that it struck me just how much my children enjoyed the china closet just the way it is. They will sit and pull different items out and talk about where we picked that up, or who brought that home for mom. It brought a tear to my heart to realize that all along it has been a treasure in our home. It holds things from probably every trip, or excursion that we have gone on. So I will never contemplate wanting to replace those memories again just for some china plates, not when we can sit together as a family and talk about all those treasured memories and the love we have shared as a family. I hope that I can continue to add those special little items for a very long time so that I will be able to sit with my grandchildren and share those treasures with them.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Tamee-I love your post. You always have your family in mind--you inspire me to do better. XOXOX julie

Andrew and Maren said...

I know exactly who triggered this moment and post for you...my dearest husban, and oyur amazing son Andrew. I hope you never replace the items in you china cabinet, it is truely the moment when Andrew comes out of his "manly" self, and shares all the things he remembers from his childhood. He remembers everything and he remembers exactly what belongs to him...